Author Topic: Oilers 2013-2014 Autopsy  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Throttlehead

• Midget
    • View Profile
Oilers 2013-2014 Autopsy
« on: June 14, 2014, 03:25:32 AM »
It has been another very painful year (maybe the most) finishing in the bottom three of the league, after high expectations at the start of the year. The team took a step backwards in the standings, even after some upgrades on the team, as well as the younger players are a year older in age and experience. The team and individual players took a step back in almost every metric and category.

Something we have heard over the past years, basically since Taylor Hall was drafted, “we don’t want that losing culture to set in” with the newly top drafted players. The Oilers are in large danger of adopting this trait right now. I would like to do player assessments, I hope you all join in.

Player Assessment (We will add  a new player to discuss each day).

Jeff Petry

Petry had year where he didn’t show a lot of progress but was still our #1 shutdown dman. When he was paired with Marincin, it seemed the pair played pretty well together but are still very green. Petry has a tendency to make silly mistakes that should be out of his game, but I believe with a little more time and a real D coach, he will be an excellent 2nd pair guy. It seems the fans are very hard on Petry, unfairly I believe, he was put in a position to fail and has not been developed properly not unlike the rest of our players, but in D years, he is still very young and inexperienced. He is an excellent skater, who moves the puck well, and is not afraid to use the body. Petry is not a mean nasty player, but not everyone is of that ilk, hopefully gets some more meanness to his game. I think with a little confidence, he would be very effective on second PP team and rushing the puck more, he should also shoot more, he has a very good shot in the mid 90’s. When we picked Petry in the draft, he was known for his offensive play, we have tried to change him to a shutdown D, maybe its time to give him the green light a bit more. I would like to point out that I said he didn’t show much progress this year, but no one really did. I think the we could have a very nice pairing in the future with Petry and Marincin. I would be happy with a 3-4 year contract at 3-3.5 million per.

Drafted 45th in 2006                 6'3"  200lbs

Advanced Stats - http://www.extraskater.com/player/564/jeff-petry#dashboard

Next player assessment will be Martin Marincin
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:33:42 AM by Throttlehead »

Offline Throttlehead

• Midget
    • View Profile
Re: Oilers 2013-2014 Autopsy
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 03:45:10 AM »
Martin Marincin

Marincin was selected in the 2010 draft, he came to the CHL the very next year and had a very good first season for the WHL Cougars, he put up some really good offensive numbers. It was after his first WHL season that he played 1 game for the OKC Barons. The following season Marincin played for two different WHL teams being traded from the Cougars to the Pats, his offensive numbers dropped but his defensive side got stronger. It was after his second WHL season, Marinicin played another 6 games for the OKC Barons. It was in his third year in North America that Marincin started with the OKC Barons and played 86 games including playoffs, his game took another step but he still lacked the experience, muscle and build to move up to the NHL . In 2013-14 sea on Marincin played 24 games for the barons before being promoted to the Oilers, and he took full advantage of it.

Marincin was paired with Petry for most of his first season and they played pretty well together, they were a pretty reliable paring and with more maturity and experience, I believe the pairing will be excellent down the road. Marinicin needs  to add some weight to his frame and maybe a little grrr to his game. He has an excellent reach with a long stick, he can easily be a solid second pairing guy for years to come, we just have to wait while he gains the much needed experience. He seems to have overcome the experience of moving to a new country with different language etc.

I hope he is on our team for years to come, he is a part of a great young D core, arrows up for him.

Drafted  46th in 2010       6"4"    187lbs

Advanced Stats - http://www.extraskater.com/player/1252/martin-marincin#dashboard
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:47:14 AM by Throttlehead »

Offline Throttlehead

• Midget
    • View Profile
Re: Oilers 2013-2014 Autopsy
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:19:28 AM »
Taylor Hall

Taylor Hall is absolutely the best player in the Oilers organization, many nights the team goes as Hall goes. He has lightning speed going down the wing and is not afraid to go to the net with fierce conviction, he plays with grit and tenacity. I don't think anything can be blamed on Hall for the dismal season we just finished, I am hoping he doesn't get used to losing with the teams and management he has been presented with since getting drafted. He above all was a winner when we drafted him.

Hall has also learned or starting to learn when to pull up before getting creamed, his defensive game is coming as well. The deal Hall signed at 6 million will soon be the best deal in the NHL, it's already a deal for the Oilers. He should be our next captain, and very soon I might add.

We can only hope one day Taylor Hall will be holding the Stanley Cup as an Oiler.

Drafted 1rst  in 2010      6'1"     210lbs

Advanced Stats - http://www.extraskater.com/player/563/taylor-hall#dashboard
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:23:34 AM by Throttlehead »