Author Topic: Borgford reunites with Nelson to help develop Oilers prospects  (Read 951 times)

Offline lennon

• Administrator
  • Major Junior
    • View Profile
Good friends become co-workers once again.

Tony Borgford will join Todd Nelson in Oklahoma City as an assistant with the Edmonton Oilers affiliate. The Oilers announced the hiring of Borgford as Assistant Coach and Manager of Hockey Operations for the Barons in the American Hockey League and he joins Nelson, with whom he already has a strong relationship with.

Borgford, 39, served as Video Coordinator for the Atlanta Thrashers for eight seasons, before the franchise relocated to Winnipeg in 2010. He has filled the role of Video Coordinator/Coach for the Jets the past three seasons.

Photo by Getty Images.
Borgford and Nelson were in Atlanta’s organization together at the same time for multiple years. Nelson was the Assistant Coach of the Chicago Wolves from 2006-2007 before joining the Thrashers under the same title from 2008-2010. Now after some time apart, Borgford rejoins with Nelson to fill the vacated role previously held by Rocky Thompson, who was promoted to the Oilers.

“We had a lot of time to get to know each other,” Borgford said. “We had a lot in common, we had a lot of the same hockey philosophies and we hit it off. We’ve kept in contact ever since over the last four years that he’s been down here and obviously I’ve been up in Winnipeg. We’ve stayed in close contact over the years. He’s a good friend but I’m really looking forward to learning from him as a head coach. I hear nothing but fantastic things about him from players and staff alike. I’m really excited about the opportunity.”

Nelson is ecstatic that the Oilers were able to fill Thompson’s spot with a qualified coach who knows the responsibilities of the position like the back of his hand.

“Him and I worked together in Atlanta and we have a really strong relationship,” Nelson said. “I wanted someone to be able to come in and run the video portion of what Rocky did and he fits the bill. He does this basically in his sleep. He has a very good, educated eye. He’s going to radio down and help us out with tactics. He wanted to get into coaching at the pro level and this is a good opportunity for him. To have a guy that’s worked in the NHL is going to be a tremendous help. I wanted someone who was current with systems and Tony provides that.”

Imagine! Oilers in the playoffs