Author Topic: Wings want to re-sign Alfredsson  (Read 800 times)

Offline lennon

• Administrator
  • Major Junior
    • View Profile
Wings want to re-sign Alfredsson
« on: August 12, 2014, 06:46:07 PM »
It appears the Detroit Red Wings want Daniel Alfredsson to return for another season.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told mlive.com the 41-year-old unrestricted free agent was valuable when healthy last season and could benefit the team again in 2014-15, even if it’s in a limited role.

“My take is we’re probably going to try to do something with Alfie,” Holland said. “Certainly, I don’t look at Alfie thinking he’s going to play 82 games. When you got [Gustav] Nyquist and [Tomas] Tatar and [Tomas] Jurco and [Luke] Glendening and [Riley] Sheahan, if we can get a certain amount of games out of [Alfredsson], we would feel like he would be a real positive addition.”

In his first season with the Red Wings, after spending 17 with the Ottawa Senators, Alfredsson registered 18 goals, 31 assists for a team-high 49 points in 68 games, but dealt with back issues late in the campaign.

In June, Holland said Alfredsson would either return to the Red Wings or hang up his skates for good.

The veteran Swede is set to resume skating to see how he feels and how his back responds.

“At the end of the day I think he wants to [skate] and we want to see him skate every day for 2-3 weeks and then let’s see how he feels,” Holland added.

If Alfredsson does re-sign with the Red Wings, it’s expected he would get a one-year deal with a low cap hit and a bonus clause. His cap hit last season was $3.5 million.
Imagine! Oilers in the playoffs