Author Topic: Justin Schultz Contract  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Throttlehead

• Midget
    • View Profile
Justin Schultz Contract
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:38:07 PM »
What should the Oilers give Schultz for a contract?

I say try him at 5-6 years 4.75 million, that locks him in to the end of the other core contracts.

Offline boram

• Bantam
    • View Profile
Re: Justin Schultz Contract
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:54:36 AM »
I like him, but don't believe he's earned either that kind of term or wage.

I'd love to offer him a 2-year deal at $3mil, and let him truly prove himself, as with Subban.  Though I wouldn't be as inflexible as MTL -  drama is the last thing we need now, so I'd go with higher term and/or salary if need be - but I don't think he's earned more than, say, Slava Voynov, 6 years @ 4.2.

I wonder what he'd prefer; a low bridge with potential for a big resign, or longer term at $ 4mil per year?  Despite the disparity, I'd be fine with either - but wouldn't want to go above an AAV of 4mil.

Offline Throttlehead

• Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 06:09:40 AM »
I like him, but don't believe he's earned either that kind of term or wage.

I'd love to offer him a 2-year deal at $3mil, and let him truly prove himself, as with Subban.  Though I wouldn't be as inflexible as MTL -  drama is the last thing we need now, so I'd go with higher term and/or salary if need be - but I don't think he's earned more than, say, Slava Voynov, 6 years @ 4.2.

I wonder what he'd prefer; a low bridge with potential for a big resign, or longer term at $ 4mil per year?  Despite the disparity, I'd be fine with either - but wouldn't want to go above an AAV of 4mil.

The only thing I could disagree with you on is the bridge deal, I have never really been a fan of a bridge contract on a player that shows legit, real promise. I feel the Habs screwed that one up with Subban, maybe in hindsight the money they saved on bridge is the difference they would have paid in paying him his new contract and term...not sure. The Voynov comparison is pretty close to dead on, I agree completely. The problem I see with direct comparison to Voynov is he is living in LA and playing on an excellent team (this has to play in to his decision), while Shultz is....you know. I would love if we could sing him for 4 mil, that would be excellent and not much risk at all, he is our best offensive dman by far.

Really hard to say what he would prefer, but I assume he wants to be like his buddies, trouble is, he is not going to make 6 mil :) , but I would love to keep him for 5-6 more years.

Offline Trez

• Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »
Getting him signed at Voynov dollars and term would be good, probably a really fair comparison.
Hating someone is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.

Offline Throttlehead

• Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 01:59:54 AM »
From all the crap with Petry and the over payment of Nikitin, I suppose they will sign Schultz at 5 million over 5 years. MacT said himself you can't be paying all your defensemen 4 million, "some have to be 1 million and some 7 million" whatever that means. Well MacT maybe don't pay guys like Ferrence, Nikitin that kind of money if not worth it.