Author Topic: Getting a 2C  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Throttlehead

• Midget
    • View Profile
Getting a 2C
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
My suggestion is Yakupov for Bjugstad, not sure if we can get more from Florida than straight across, but I would do that deal in a  second. I will back this trade idea up by saying, we NEED a 2C, Bjugstad can play PP PK and play against the monster centres in the west that are presently killing us on a nightly basis (its too much to ask out of RNH with his size). We really don't need a smaller winger like Yakupov, who also appears not to play much of a team game, Yakupov MAY be a 40 goal scorer some day, Bjugstad should probably be a 30 goal scorer who brings size and a two way game with speed. I really don't see the drawback to making this trade. The Panthers have centres, they probably wouldn't mind a winger with potential.

BadWolf

Re: Getting a 2C
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
Well I hear we're trying to ship Gagner off to LA....hopefully we get Nolan or King in return even Clifford would be alright. I know Stoll is getting up there, 31, but he might be exactly what we need. Tough, face offs, experience, and now a cup ring. That being said, I think Bjustad for Yakupov would be great, maybe toss in a Gernat/Musil and sneak Kulikov outta there too

Offline Trez

• Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »
Well I hear we're trying to ship Gagner off to LA....hopefully we get Nolan or King in return even Clifford would be alright. I know Stoll is getting up there, 31, but he might be exactly what we need. Tough, face offs, experience, and now a cup ring. That being said, I think Bjustad for Yakupov would be great, maybe toss in a Gernat/Musil and sneak Kulikov outta there too

I don't like the idea of just getting Clifford for Gagner, that is a 4th liner for a top 6 player.

Gernat and Yakupov might get you Bjugstad and Kulikov, I like that idea a lot, but isn't Kulikov's contract up this year and does he want to go back to mother Russia?
Hating someone is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.

Offline Throttlehead

• Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:56:39 AM »

Offline Throttlehead

• Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:58:02 AM »

BadWolf

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
Kulikov may head back...who knows, always a gamble with Russians. 

Clifford is pretty much a spud, yes, but I doubt they'll give up Voynov or Martinez...then you're looking at the afore mentioned 3 and Lewis, Fraser, and maybe Brown(and his huge contract).

If neither of these avenues work, we should try to swing something with Columbus. Jenner and Foligno would be great right now. :)

Offline Schultz

• Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:37:52 PM »
Kulikov may head back...who knows, always a gamble with Russians. 

Clifford is pretty much a spud, yes, but I doubt they'll give up Voynov or Martinez...then you're looking at the afore mentioned 3 and Lewis, Fraser, and maybe Brown(and his huge contract).

If neither of these avenues work, we should try to swing something with Columbus. Jenner and Foligno would be great right now. :)

I really like Voynov. too bad he didn't come over on the Penner trade. There is no way Sammy or Hemsky will get us Voynov.

I like Throttle's idea of Bjugstad or how about O'Reilly, wonder if we could made a deal there.
I know nothing!

Offline Windsorhockey123

• Bantam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27:30 PM »
I'd try to trade Gagner for Brian Campbell.  He's the perfect guy to mentor someone like J. Schultz and the numerous other young guys like Marincin, Nurse, Klefbom.  I like that he only has 2 years left on his contract after this year (the perfect amount of time to shelter our young guys and then leave to create room).  It would create a hole for us at centre next year, but we aren't winning a cup next year anyways... Developing our young defence is more important in the long term, and Arcabello or Lander can fill in for a year or 2 while the centre we draft this year develops.   And before anyone says that Florida doesn't need a centre... I always considered Gagner more suited for the wing anyways.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:29:26 PM by Windsorhockey123 »

Offline Trez

• Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 12:03:54 AM »
I'd try to trade Gagner for Brian Campbell.  He's the perfect guy to mentor someone like J. Schultz and the numerous other young guys like Marincin, Nurse, Klefbom.  I like that he only has 2 years left on his contract after this year (the perfect amount of time to shelter our young guys and then leave to create room).  It would create a hole for us at centre next year, but we aren't winning a cup next year anyways... Developing our young defence is more important in the long term, and Arcabello or Lander can fill in for a year or 2 while the centre we draft this year develops.   And before anyone says that Florida doesn't need a centre... I always considered Gagner more suited for the wing anyways.

Last year I might have thought to be an excellent idea, but after getting Ference I think that doesn't fly anymore, Ference is supposed to be THAT guy doing the mentor thing. I think it would be better served to fire Steve Smith and actually get a defence coach who can develop our guys, it doesn't seem he has a handle on it, the Oilers are terrible at development, and btw who is the goalie coach, same goes with him. I do like Campbell, just think its wrong time for that contract and we have some young guys that need ice. I hope Lander comes up big next year, and NOT on the fourth line. Gagner is a better winger, agreed.
Hating someone is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.

Offline Windsorhockey123

• Bantam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 08:07:09 AM »
I disagree big time.  First of all, I don't think Ferrence is good enough to mentor the young guys, let alone help selter their minutes.  I bet he mostly plays on the 3rd pairing next year.  Even more important, is the fact that you can't have FOUR of your top 6 defenseman next year playing with UNDER 150 games of NHL experience ... That's a recipe for disaster, and hardly a way to effectively develop your young guys.  You can fire assistant coaches all you want, but I'd like to see our defence look something like this next year....

Campbell.                 J.Schultz
Petry.                           Marincin
Ferrence.                   Fedun/Klefbom/Nurse (Whoever's Best)

How are young defence develops is the key to the Oilers future.  The last thing you want to do is rush them and put them in positions where they are overwhelmed and destined to fail.  I wouldn't even be opposed to sending Nurse back to junior for another year.

BadWolf

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »
We do not need a D like Brian Campbell.....We have a team full of Brian Campbell's (but with better contracts) :).

You're right though, Ference isn't as good as our awesome scouts thought he was gonna be, but, have you ever noticed, any D that comes to our team, be it OKC, overseas, or trade they always seem to progressively get worse the longer they spend time in Edmonton......So....I think there should be some weight put on the shoulders of Steve Smith. I mean, who fires 3 head coaches while keeping the assistants? If you asked they would say "Oh they just are extensions of the head coach"  Then why are they so important? Why doesn't every head coach just have a travelling team then? Why can't Eakins pick his own? 

And as far as the pairings, If we can get one respectable  shut down D out of Hemsky/Gagner we should be fine,  I think, they just need to be played/taught correctly..

Fedun, J Schultz, Marincin, Petry, Nurse, Ference, and probably somebody with weight via trade,  we look alright, there are worst D corps in the league than that.

Although they play better than ours no matter what?

Offline Windsorhockey123

• Bantam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »
It will be harder than you think to acquire a legit top pairing defenceman.  They rarely make it to free agency, and teams almost never trade them.  The only good top pairing defenseman that I can even remember being traded in the past decade are Campbell, Pronger, Phaneuf, Bouwmeaster and to a lesser extent Gologoski or Johnson (Both team were severely ripped off by the way having to give up James Neal and Jeff Carter).  The only reason Campbell might be available IS BECAUSE of his expensive contract... And I don't care because its only for 2 years to shelter and develop our young players until guys like J. Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse are actually ready for bigger roles.

In my opinion, It's either...
- Throw our young guys to the wolves, and not even sniff the playoffs again; or
- Take another risk on a free agent vet like Ferrence again (probably another bad contract); or
- Trade for a guy like Campbell who could really help for a few years, and then turn things over to the young guys when they're more ready to handle it.

BadWolf

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 01:17:29 PM »
Campbell isn't a candidate to mentor, in my opinion, have you looked at his stat line? Compare it to Tom Gilberts' ..... Very little difference except Gilbert's 5" taller and 20 lbs. heavier.....would ya want him back?

And your certainly not getting him for his defensive prowess, are you?

Offline Schultz

• Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »
Lets get back to talking about a 2C    ;D
I know nothing!

Offline Windsorhockey123

• Bantam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »
Lets get back to talking about a 2C    ;D

Come on man...

Stats aren't everything... And what's so bad about his stats anyway?

-  He has the 3rd most points on his team
-  He's only 2 points from being the leading scorer on his team
-  He has more points than any defenseman on the Oilers right now
-  He'd almost surely be in the top 20 for points among defenseman if anyone on his team could score (He's currently tied for 30th on one of the worst offensive teams in the league)
-  And I think he's making Tom Gilbert better by being paired with him

Go watch old Chicago post game interviews with Keith and Seabrook.  They both credit Campbell for being a big reason for their success and development... They've said that on several occasions.

And if you think Campbell is bad defensively... Then you're simply wrong.